Ye Olde
Talbott Blog

Where'd He Go?

It’s been quite a while since I’ve posted, but that doesn’t mean nothing interesting has happened. Actually, it means quite the opposite — life has been busier than ever. A quick update on where I’ve been and what I’ve been doing follows…

Let’s start with Memorial Day. I worked from home half the day, and then spent the other half helping the family get ready for a neighborhood picnic we had at our house that afternoon/evening. The picnic seemed to go quite well, and I of course enjoyed the good spread of food that was laid out.

I took the day following Memorial Day off and finished getting things set up for the cable modem installation, which proceeded without a hitch that afternoon. The hardest thing to do beforehand was not the physical wiring (which I did myself), but rather getting two network cards to play nicely in the same machine. Overall, I’m very impressed with Smoothwall, which is the Linux-based firewall-tailored distribution I’m running on a 486/66.

The rest of the week kept me busy with work, and meeting with various people. I ate dinner at the Thrasher’s one night, had dinner one night with John David, and then found msyelf needing to pack for my camping trip and Knoxville really fast.

Camping trip first. I left fairly early Saturday morning and headed to Mt. Mitchell State Park. The highest peak east of the Mississippi, Mt. Mitchell has lots of great (hard!) hiking trails. Saturday and Sunday I trekked all over the mountain, interspersing hiking with doing some reading. The only thing that was a little rough was my forgetting to bring padding and a pillow… the ground gets really, really hard after about ten minutes of lying on it with nothing but a sleeping bag for cushioning. I must be getting old or something.

I went directly from the mountains to Knoxville (a lot of why I picked Mt. Mitchell was its location almost directly on the path from Raleigh to Knoxville). I’ve been to many ATI conferences in Knoxville, but this time was a bit different, since I was pretty heavily involved in helping out. I split my time between helping with computer setup and tear down, assisting with the computer apprenticeship track, and doing everything I could to make book sales successful. It was excellent to see many familiar faces, and to serve again with some of the coolest people I’ve met in my twenty-two short years on the earth.

This past weekend was spent mostly in recovering from the conference, and today I went to a great Strategic Focus Time at the RoleModel Studio. SFTs, as we call them, are a time for everyone to stop whatever work it is they’re doing and gather together to discuss company direction and strategy. We also often spend part of the time learning about some new technology — this month it was an incredibly cool collaborative 3D environment that’s supposed to hit prime time next year (sorry, can’t tell you any more or I’d have to kill you).

The rest of the week I will be putting in some unbilled time, split between future conference preparation and working with some technology to advance RoleModel competencies. Should be interesting…